HMNZS Tutira 4-inch gun

The 4-inch gun mounted that was later located near the main gate to HMNZS Philomel on Queens Parade Devonport was originally fitted as the main armament to the Loch-class frigate HMNZS Tutira that served with the RNZN from 1949 to 1961. It was used primarily for surface engagement shore bombardment.

 

4-inch [100mm] Quick Firing Mark V gun

The 4-inch gun mounted that was later located near the main gate to HMNZS Philomel on Queens Parade Devonport was originally fitted as the main armament to the Loch-class frigate HMNZS Tutira that served with the RNZN from 1949 to 1961. It was used primarily for surface engagement shore bombardment. It had a maximum range of 7,700 yards at an angle of 20 degrees [approximately 4 nautical miles]

Prior to transferring to the RNZN, Tutira was known as HMS Loch Morlich saw service in the North Atlantic during the latter part of the Second World War as an ASW escort. Upon transfer to the RNZN in 1949 she was named Tutira after a lake in New Zealand. She saw war service during the Korean War from July 1950 to May 1951. She and her sister ship HMNZS Rotoiti were the first frigates deployed to Korea as part of New Zealand’s commitment to the United Nations naval forces. When the ship was decommissioned from the RNZN and sold for scrap, this gun was removed. It was then gifted to the Sea Cadet unit at Levin, TS Tutira where it remained until 1992. It was recovered and returned to the Naval Armament Depot at Kauri Point.

The gun was gifted to the North Shore City Council in 1998 by the RNZN and the gun underwent a major refurbishment in the weapons shop of the Fleet Maintenance Group prior to being installed at HMNZS Philomel in September 1999.