Name/Title Bronze head/bell hanger
Bronze Maori head for hanging HMS NEW ZEALAND bell. It was made from coins collected from penny trails by the school children of NZ and presented to the original HMS NEW ZEALAND in 1905. This ship was renamed ZEALANDIA in 1911 when NZ purchased the battle cruiser HMS NEW ZEALAND and the bell and hanger were transferred to the new ship. HMS NEW ZEALAND was sold for scrap in 1922 and many items were returned to New Zealand and distributed amongst various parties including the RNZN (then the NZ Division).
Dimensions – Face: circa 320 x 220 x 140 mm
On wooden mount: circa 400 x 290 x 210 mm
Owned by the Royal New Zealand Navy (RNZN) and registered as a Fleet Trophy (fleet
trophy collection is administered by the Navy Museum).
Formerly on long-term display in the Wardroom, HMNZ Naval Base, Devonport.