Tangaika, the Maori term for spoil of war, was put to very good use within the RNZN although as new yachts came on the scene she was not particularly successful on the racing circuit. Tangaika’s main forte was cruising and she was much in demand for trips in the Hauraki Gulf, mainly to the Kawau and Waiheke Islands, the WRNZNS being well represented.In 1946 the Royal Navy sailed 70 Kriegsmarine yachts back to Britain for distribution amongst the three services. In July 1948 the Admiralty offered (with letters signed by one Lieutenant Commander Erroll Bruce RN) offered Leuchtkafer, a cutter [13.2 x 2.6m] that was in storage at Devonport to the RNZN. At the time it was declined due to the costs of shipping it to New Zealand because neither the Admiralty nor the New Zealand authorities would agree to do so. Eventually the Royal Navy Sailing Association [RNSA] in the spirit of encouraging sailing, offered to pay the required £100 themselves and so it was that she was shipped in the New Zealand Star, arriving in Auckland on 26 July 1949. The whole transfer was carried out in a “can do” spirit with complications of customs, insurance, dock charges and other administration sorted out later. The first question was what her name should be changed to. One idea was Gloworm, the English translation of her German name but eventually a Commander Washbourne suggested Tangaika, the Maori term for spoil of war and this was immediately agreed and approved in September 1949. She began her use for training and recreation at Philomel from January 1950.
For the next decade she was put to very good use within the RNZN although as new yachts came on the scene she was not particularly successful on the racing circuit. This was not for the want of trying and at one point she was re-rigged, enabling her to carry a larger mainsail, working jib, jib topsail, masthead genoa and a masthead parachute spinnaker.
Her leading light for a period was Lieutenant Commander E.B. Davies and with his crew became well known in the racing scene. However Tangaika’s main forte was cruising and she was much in demand for trips in the Hauraki Gulf, mainly to the Kawau and Waiheke Islands, the WRNZNS being well represented. The RNZN, while not agreeing to pay the transport charges for her shipment to New Zealand, nevertheless were very supportive of the yacht and provided dockyard assistance for slipping the boat every winter and funds for essential repairs. Administration came under the Commanding Officer of HMNZS Philomel. Painting and general maintenance was provided by volunteer labour and modest fees charged for recreational sailing which formed a fund to cover minor improvements and insurance.
When she was laid up in April 1956 it was found that she was uneconomical to repair. On 24 July 1957 she was declared surplus to requirements and finally on 19 October of that year was auctioned off, being sold to a Mr G. Palmer. And so it was that in December 1958 the Navy Office in Wellington wrote to the RNSA to state that Tangaika was no longer economically viable and she had been disposed of (incidentally this was the year that the Royal Naval College Dartmouth war prize yachts were replaced). Now in private hands she was re-decked and her topsides raised by one plank. At this stage she was bought by two brothers, Bruce and Ian Gilchrist, who gutted her and found problems. They much strengthened her by replacing several planks, sheathing the yacht with two layers of Philippine Kauri and covering the whole with glass fibre.
 Information provided by Commodore Tony Lewis RNZN Rtd. See also R.J. McDougall, New Zealand Naval Vessels, Wellington: GP Books, 1989, pp. 148-149.