Name/Title Ring bolt
Piece of ring bolt from HMS Queen Mary which landed on the quarter deck of HMS New Zealand when Queen Mary blew up during the Battle of Jutland. Ringbolt is mounted on a block of greenstone with a silver plate which reads, “Part from a deck fitting of HMS Queen Mary picked up on the quarter deck of HMS New Zealand during the Battle of Jutland May 31st 1916”. Inscription is now worn from much cleaning. HMS Queen Mary was constructed in 1911 (launched 1912, commissioned into the Royal Navy 1913) by Palmers Shipbuilding and Iron Company in Jarrow, Northeast England.
It is not clear who mounted the ringbolt on a block of Pounamu or had the silver plate added, but it was possibly the donor, G.M Eady. Believed to be British, Eady was a Royal Navy Midshipman on HMS New Zealand at the time of the Battle of Jutland. In 1973 he offered to leave the ring bolt to the NZ Navy Board in his will. It was delivered to the Navy Office, Wellington, in 1975 (presumably after his death) and later came to the Navy Museum.
Dimensions – circa 100 x 69 x 90 mm (w x d x h)
Object was given to the Royal New Zealand Navy in 1975 and later transferred to the
museum collection owned by the Trust Board of the National Museum of the Royal New
Zealand Navy (Navy Museum). It is on permanent display in the Museum.